something for all the olde farts to get nostalgic about :-)
corks
2007-10-06 05:49:51 UTC
will_s
2007-10-06 06:29:25 UTC
Post by corks
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6674/hon31od4.jpg
sorry to disappoint but not the slightest
Toosmoky
2007-10-06 07:01:30 UTC
Post by corks
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6674/hon31od4.jpg
Not bad but the headlights remind me of the Cybermen.

Toosmoky
Work to ride, Ride to Work...
http://users.tpg.com.au/smokey61
Jordan
2007-10-06 07:35:56 UTC
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
Nev..
2007-10-06 11:16:41 UTC
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
Look out Smee, the history police are here. Commander Cook didn't have
computers either. Should we continue this discussion at the monthly
meeting of the Royal Society?

Nev..
Jordan
2007-10-06 22:15:01 UTC
This thread started out as a history lesson.
Nev..
2007-10-07 05:22:14 UTC
Post by Jordan
Post by Nev..
Look out Smee, the history police are here.
This thread started out as a history lesson.
How is a picture of a brand new bike a history lesson?

Nev..
SmeeMW
2007-10-07 00:31:28 UTC
Post by Nev..
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
Look out Smee, the history police are here. Commander Cook didn't have
computers either. Should we continue this discussion at the monthly
meeting of the Royal Society?
Nev..
I'm just gonna see how this pans out for the moment
I'm on holidays till tomorrow :-)
BT Humble
2007-10-07 09:08:06 UTC
Post by Nev..
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
Look out Smee, the history police are here. Commander Cook didn't have
computers either. Should we continue this discussion at the monthly
meeting of the Royal Society?
Nev..
LIEUTENANT Commander Cook!

BTH
John Lamp
2007-10-08 08:32:47 UTC
Post by BT Humble
Post by Nev..
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
Look out Smee, the history police are here. Commander Cook didn't have
computers either. Should we continue this discussion at the monthly
meeting of the Royal Society?
Nev..
LIEUTENANT Commander Cook!
Well actually, as a non-commissioned entrant to the Navy in the 18th
Century, Master was usually the highest rank possible. However Cook
impressed for a number of reasons, especially the fact that he worked
for it, an almost unheard of thing in those days. The ranks rose as
follows (lowest to highest)

Lieutenant
Lieutenant-Commander
Commander
Captain

Cook was certainly at the rank of Captain by his second voyage, possibly
even his first. The archives are a bit hit and miss!

Cheers
Goaty
--
_--_|\ John Lamp - in beautiful downtown Highton
/ \ IRC:***@aus.moto DoD#:1906 Ulysses#:10185 Vulcan Nomad

Hear no Evo, See no Evo, Fear no Evo
Boxer
2007-10-08 08:50:45 UTC
Post by John Lamp
Post by BT Humble
Post by Nev..
Post by Jordan
[...]
However whilst in command of a ship they are all called Captain.

Boxer
John Lamp
2007-10-08 11:47:06 UTC
Post by Boxer
Post by John Lamp
Post by BT Humble
Post by Nev..
Post by Jordan
[...]
Funny that, we called him "skipper" (when he was in earshot).

Cheers
Goaty

bikerbetty
2007-10-08 12:17:25 UTC
Post by John Lamp
Post by Boxer
Post by John Lamp
Post by BT Humble
Post by Nev..
Post by Jordan
[...]
God forgive me.... I'm hearing......

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip....
It started from this tropic port aboard this tiny ship...."

Oh, nostalgia.....

betty
John Lamp
2007-10-09 07:38:04 UTC
Post by bikerbetty
Post by John Lamp
Post by Boxer
Post by John Lamp
Post by BT Humble
Post by Nev..
Post by Jordan
[...]

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Cheers
Goaty

bikerbetty
2007-10-09 08:27:48 UTC
Post by John Lamp
Post by bikerbetty
Post by John Lamp
Post by Boxer
Post by John Lamp
Post by BT Humble
http://youtu.be/qH1UdnZfYh8
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Cheers
Goaty
--
That was faaaaabulous! I was always torn between the two theme songs - the
original one flowed better, but the second one was more "inclusive" <grin> -

As a kid I used to love Gilligan's Island! I'd seen the repeats so many
times that could identify the episode within about 2 seconds after the theme
song finished! (scary really...)

betty
John Lamp
2007-10-09 09:52:51 UTC
Post by bikerbetty
As a kid I used to love Gilligan's Island! I'd seen the repeats so many
times that could identify the episode within about 2 seconds after the theme
song finished! (scary really...)
That's quite an admission ... moving in the general direction of away! :)

Cheers
Goaty

bikerbetty
2007-10-09 10:19:03 UTC
Post by John Lamp
Post by bikerbetty
As a kid I used to love Gilligan's Island! I'd seen the repeats so many
times that could identify the episode within about 2 seconds after the
theme song finished! (scary really...)
That's quite an admission ... moving in the general direction of away! :)
Cheers
Goaty
--
Of course, I've grown up since then...... honest!

betty
Knobdoodle
2007-10-17 10:28:07 UTC
Post by John Lamp
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Deja Vu is though.
Clem
BT Humble
2007-10-08 12:31:52 UTC
Post by John Lamp
Post by BT Humble
Post by Nev..
Look out Smee, the history police are here. Commander Cook didn't have
computers either. Should we continue this discussion at the monthly
meeting of the Royal Society?
LIEUTENANT Commander Cook!
Well actually, as a non-commissioned entrant to the Navy in the 18th
Century, Master was usually the highest rank possible. However Cook
impressed for a number of reasons, especially the fact that he worked
for it, an almost unheard of thing in those days. The ranks rose as
follows (lowest to highest)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant-Commander
Commander
Captain
Cook was certainly at the rank of Captain by his second voyage, possibly
even his first. The archives are a bit hit and miss!
Damn you Goaty! I *almost* had him bluffed! ;-)

BTH
John Lamp
2007-10-08 08:12:55 UTC
Post by Nev..
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
Look out Smee, the history police are here. Commander Cook didn't have
computers either. Should we continue this discussion at the monthly
meeting of the Royal Society?
Well, not in his first voyage anyhow. The Admiralty was still supressing
the Harrison chronometer and insisting on stellar observation for
longditude calculations! Fine on land or on the Thames, bit more of a
challenge on a pitching boat (yes, or yawing or rolling), especially in
the higher latitudes where the chance of a clear sky was about the same
as Port Adelaide's chances in the '07 Grand Final[1].

By his second voyage, they allowed the use of the Harrison chronometer,
grudgingly!

Cheers
Goaty

1. Sorry Johnno!

Marty H
2007-10-06 12:29:00 UTC
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
oh fore fucks sake

meh
Jordan
2007-10-06 21:56:00 UTC
Post by Marty H
oh fore fucks sake
meh
There you go again - language!
Noel
2007-10-07 02:27:59 UTC
Post by Jordan
Post by Marty H
oh fore fucks sake
meh
There you go again - language!
Now don't be too hard on them, they may get all discombobulated.
corks
2007-10-07 01:34:47 UTC
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
ahem,

1. i believe the dutch found wa first before that stinking copy cat cook

2. they were using the word aulde @ olde

now back in your box :-)
Resound
2007-10-07 03:10:02 UTC
Post by corks
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
ahem,
1. i believe the dutch found wa first before that stinking copy cat cook
now back in your box :-)
I'm fairly sure that it was only around the 19thC that people actually
started to get fussy about what was or was not the correct way to spell
anything. So in the 17th and 18th you had old, olde, auld, aulde, elde,
ealde and so on depending upon personal inclination and where exactly you
came from. Some of those spellings may have been a trifle earlier, but you
get the idea.
Jordan
2007-10-07 04:58:51 UTC
Post by Resound
I'm fairly sure that it was only around the 19thC that people actually
started to get fussy about what was or was not the correct way to spell
anything. So in the 17th and 18th you had old, olde, auld, aulde, elde,
ealde and so on depending upon personal inclination and where exactly you
came from. Some of those spellings may have been a trifle earlier, but you
get the idea.
There's some of Cook's journal entries can be seen here:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.ms-ms1

It looks pretty modern.
Nev..
2007-10-07 05:13:17 UTC
Post by Jordan
Post by Resound
I'm fairly sure that it was only around the 19thC that people actually
started to get fussy about what was or was not the correct way to
spell anything. So in the 17th and 18th you had old, olde, auld,
aulde, elde, ealde and so on depending upon personal inclination and
where exactly you came from. Some of those spellings may have been a
trifle earlier, but you get the idea.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.ms-ms1
It looks pretty modern.
You keep writing this stuff like it is relevant to something.

Nev..
Zebee Johnstone
2007-10-07 04:57:48 UTC
In aus.motorcycles on Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:10:02 +1000
Post by Resound
I'm fairly sure that it was only around the 19thC that people actually
started to get fussy about what was or was not the correct way to spell
anything. So in the 17th and 18th you had old, olde, auld, aulde, elde,
ealde and so on depending upon personal inclination and where exactly you
came from. Some of those spellings may have been a trifle earlier, but you
get the idea.
The explosion in printed matter was the biggie, especially periodicals.
I have bound volumes of The Spectator from the early 1700s with quite
standardised spelling we'd all recognise. (And those damned long S's
which makes them amazingly hard to read...)

Noah Webster wasn't sure about the way Johnson dealt with words, he
thought that Johnsons's dictionary just cemented the problem - there had
been changes in the way many words were pronounced and the langage has
sounds that the Latin alphabet's not good with. So Webster changed some
things when he made his dictionary, leading to the different spellings
in the USA. He couldn't simplify that much though.

As far as I know, "Ye olde" is a Victorian medieval revivalist silliness.
The "Y" is how the letter called "thorn" was represented in some early
printed matter, and "olde" was definitely a way some people pronounuced
"old", modern speech cuts off sounds that used to be pronounced, we
swallow the d, I think they said it more like "old-duh". But the
twee "Ye Olde Whatsit" is Wromantic Wrubbish.

There was a lot of standardisation of grammar in the 1800s, and people
tried to formulate rules to cover the already standard spelling that
had come from a time when things were pronnounced differently, and for
words that came from other languages and then written sometimes as
they were in the original tongue and sometimes as they were pronounced
in England.

Zebee
BT Humble
2007-10-07 09:59:00 UTC
... But the
twee "Ye Olde Whatsit" is Wromantic Wrubbish.
Marvellous people, the Wromans...

BTH
G-S
2007-10-07 11:12:32 UTC
Post by BT Humble
... But the
twee "Ye Olde Whatsit" is Wromantic Wrubbish.
Marvellous people, the Wromans...
Very sporting people they were...

Their colony in what is now England invented the Wrongun you know.

It just wasn't cricket that they abandoned them when those barbarians came!

G-S
John Lamp
2007-10-08 08:40:47 UTC
Post by G-S
Post by BT Humble
... But the
twee "Ye Olde Whatsit" is Wromantic Wrubbish.
Marvellous people, the Wromans...
Very sporting people they were...
Their colony in what is now England invented the Wrongun you know.
Then they sent the wronguns out here ...

Cheers
Goaty

John Lamp
2007-10-08 08:40:08 UTC
Post by BT Humble
... But the
twee "Ye Olde Whatsit" is Wromantic Wrubbish.
Marvellous people, the Wromans...
BEN: Oh, you'll probably get away with crucifixion.
BRIAN: Crucifixion?!
BEN: Yeah, first offence.
BRIAN: Get away with crucifixion?! It's--
BEN: Best thing the Romans ever did for us.
BRIAN: What?!
BEN: Oh, yeah. If we didn't have crucifixion, this country would be in
a right bloody mess.
BRIAN: Guards!
BEN: Nail him up, I say!
BRIAN: Guards!
BEN: Nail some sense into him!
JAILER: [cough cough] What do you want?
BRIAN: I want you to move me to another cell.
JAILER: Ha! [ptoo]
BRIAN: Aah!
BEN: Oh, look at that! Bloody favouritism!
JAILER: Shut up, you!
BEN: Sorry!
JAILER: Huhh. [cough cough]
BEN: Now, take my case. They hung me up here five years ago. Every
night, they take me down for twenty minutes, then they hang me up again,
which I regard as very fair, in view of what I done, and, if nothing
else, it's taught me to respect the Romans, and it's taught me... that
you'll never get anywhere in this life, unless you're prepared to do a
fair day's work for a fair day's pay!
BRIAN: Oh, shut up!
[clank]
JAILER: Ehhh.
CENTURION: Pilate wants to see you!
BRIAN: Me?
CENTURION: Come on!
BRIAN: Pilate? What does he want to see me for?
CENTURION: I think he wants to know which way up you want to be crucified.
BEN: Oh, ha ha ha haa! Ha haa! Nice one, Centurion. Like it. Like it.
CENTURION: Shut up!
BEN: Right. Right. Terrific race, the Romans. Terrific.

Cheers
Goaty

Resound
2007-10-07 11:49:01 UTC
Aha, I didn't know the thorn got printed as "Y". I suppose they didn't want
nasty non-latin orthography cluttering up their presses.
John Lamp
2007-10-08 08:42:28 UTC
Post by Resound
Aha, I didn't know the thorn got printed as "Y". I suppose they didn't want
nasty non-latin orthography cluttering up their presses.
Not precisely a "y"
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_%28letter%29

Cheers
Goaty

Resound

*hides in geeky factoid stash*
Jordan
2007-10-07 05:04:53 UTC
Post by corks
1. i believe the dutch found wa first before that stinking copy cat cook
now back in your box :-)
Yes, and in turn the Dutch bought maps of the big south island from the
Portuguese. So what?
Show me a valid instance of "Ye olde" in Australian English, and I'll
get in the box!
bill_h
2007-10-07 08:49:00 UTC
Alright, who's kidnapped Scrok,

that was quite intelligible

either that, or the beer wench is slipping, more beer to Corks,
Betty..

Bill_h

now back in your box :-)
corks
now back in your box :-)
l***@gmail.com
2007-10-08 02:29:02 UTC
Post by corks
ahem,
1. i believe the dutch found wa first before that stinking copy cat cook
And, smart folks that they were, took one look and buggered off for
greener pastures.
John Lamp
2007-10-08 08:34:53 UTC
Post by corks
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
ahem,
1. i believe the dutch found wa first before that stinking copy cat cook
And that's overlooking the thriving trepang trade with the Malays in NW
Australia which ran hundreds of years before that!

Cheers
Goaty

Knobdoodle
2007-10-17 10:32:47 UTC
Post by corks
1. i believe the dutch found wa first before that stinking copy cat cook
I don't think Cook EVER found WA!
Clem
John Lamp
2007-10-08 08:09:12 UTC
Post by Jordan
Language!
Never has the word "old" had the letter e on the end, in this country.
By Captain Cook's time, English had modernised from "ye olde" version.
And, interestingly the "y" in "ye" is pronounced "th" - it's not the
modern letter y, but the old english letter thorn! Boring isn't it!

Cheers
Goaty

corks
2007-10-08 08:48:43 UTC
so did anybody like the bike after all that ????
bill_h
2007-10-08 11:40:40 UTC
Post by corks
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6674/hon31od4.jpg
Would have been nice if it was a twin...

Bill_h
Jordan
2007-10-09 08:18:26 UTC
Post by corks
so did anybody like the bike after all that ????
Yes, mostly. I'd love to have a bike with modern upside down forks one day.
Steel tube diamond frame harks back to ancient motorcycling - nothing
wrong with that.
Like the 4 into 1 exhaust system, but it'd look better in silver finish
(stainless).
Engine styling is just OK. Hate black painted engines, and the top end
looks ordinary. Why can't they make something that looks like a Gilera 4?
Moike
2007-10-09 09:05:41 UTC
Post by corks
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6674/hon31od4.jpg
Nope. It wouldn't be nice to tour on.

Moike
Biggus.....
2007-10-12 14:02:03 UTC
and I thought the Hirebusa was hideous....