BC Canada - proposed new off-road regs
Sean
2006-01-20 15:15:45 UTC
Hello Washington state -- from north of the border --
this might be of some interest, as we're just north of you...

From an article in yesterday's _Vancouver Sun_:

LICENSING, HELMETS URGED FOR OFF-ROADERS
Regulations needed to insure safe operation of ATV's, dirt bikes,
snowmobiles, group says

Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun

Published: Thursday, January 19, 2006

Mandatory registration, licensing, and use of helmets when riding on
public lands are among the key recommendations of a report to the B.C.
government on ways to regulate off-road vehicles, including ATVs,
snowmobiles, and dirt bikes.

The report by a coalition of off-road and conservation groups also
urges that anyone riding an off-road vehicle on public roads, including
gravel forestry roads, must be at least 16 years old and have a valid
driver's licence.

The coalition's 48 recommendations, three years in the making, are
designed to improve safety, minimize environmental impact and encourage
responsible driving by off-road enthusiasts.

Off-road vehicles should carry a visible plate or decal, the coalition
urges, to assist conservation officers in controlling backwoods
behaviour and allow the public to record and report illegal or
dangerous activity.

"Like all types of recreation, we have that 10-per-cent freak factor
that just can't do it right," John Sloan, a Langley director of the
umbrella group, ATV/BC, said in an interview Wednesday. "We need to
catch those people and do something about them."

A list of offences and penalties would have to be created as part of
comprehensive new legislation governing off-road vehicles, the report
notes.

Based on 2000 figures for off-road vehicles, B.C. conservatively has
70,000 snowmobiles, 40,000 ATVs, and 50,000 dirt bikes.

The Canadian Pediatric Society said in 2004 that those under age 16
should be banned from driving ATVs...

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=aa4f9877-923d-412f-a13a-f06601363234

I suppose this was inevitable, sooner or later.

Sean
corks
2006-01-21 00:04:44 UTC
actuallly you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay north of the border

welcome to wa(as in western australia).motorcycles

thank you for you post

sounds like off-roaders are getting fuckjed over just as badly as they are
in the uk
--
http://photobucket.com/albums/b216/corks67/my-bikes/
Sean
Sean
2006-01-21 06:55:38 UTC
Post by corks
actuallly you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay north of the border
welcome to wa(as in western australia).motorcycles
thank you for you post
Ooops, looks like I was about as far off as possible -- the antipodes
of where I am (Vancouver, BC) is a deep hole in the Indian Ocean
somewhere west of Perth.

However I liked what I saw of your country in _Waltz Through the Hills_;
maybe I'll get a chance to go biking there some day.

Sean
corks