Yo Reeky
sean_q
2012-10-31 01:29:21 UTC
My news client (Thunderbird) hangs when I access Reeky directly,
so I'm cross-posting this article from wa.motorcycles (where "wa" =
"western australia").

Naturally I hesitate to annoy my fellow Commonwealth citizens Down Under
in places like Perth, Kalgoorlie and the Independent Principality
of Hutt River with such blatantly off-topic (not to speak of
off-continent) material, but this forum has been so quiet lately
that no postings from Western Australia have shown up here in over
THREE years, so WTF.

Everyone must be too busy tooling about in the Outback, following
the Rabbit Proof Fence or chasing Cane Toads. Meanwhile will I get away
with this cheeky trespass on one of Australia's sovereign (but obscure)
corners of Cyberspace? Time will tell.

Anyway my news is that my partner and I are moving 500 miles due east
from Vancouver, inland to the West Kootenays for various reasons that
include finding new roads to ride and trails to explore (as well as
saving money, as housing expenses here on the Rain Coast are becoming
stratospheric).

Getting all our stuff (and us) moved up there including N+1 motorcycles
has become quite a complex piece of logistics. However I already spent
a month up there this June & July, riding the twisty mountain roads
especially in the Slocan Valley and seeing hundreds of other bikers,
any one of whom could have been Don (Calgary) for all I know.

Happy trails, Sean Quinlan
Mark Olson
2012-10-31 00:58:28 UTC
Post by sean_q
My news client (Thunderbird) hangs when I access Reeky directly,
so I'm cross-posting this article from wa.motorcycles (where "wa" =
"western australia").
Naturally I hesitate to annoy my fellow Commonwealth citizens Down Under
They're tough- like old boots. So don't worry.
Post by sean_q
Anyway my news is that my partner and I are moving 500 miles due east
from Vancouver, inland to the West Kootenays for various reasons that
include finding new roads to ride and trails to explore (as well as
saving money, as housing expenses here on the Rain Coast are becoming
stratospheric).
Getting all our stuff (and us) moved up there including N+1 motorcycles
has become quite a complex piece of logistics. However I already spent
a month up there this June & July, riding the twisty mountain roads
especially in the Slocan Valley and seeing hundreds of other bikers,
any one of whom could have been Don (Calgary) for all I know.
My family and I were lucky enough to be able to ride from Minnesota
to the Kootenays in June of 2011 when Don played host to our Actual
Riders group. We rode up the east shore of Kootenay Lake and took the
ferry across and up the west side to Kaslo where I had my first ever
serving (and maybe my last) of poutine. Then on to New Denver where
we stayed for a couple of days with a ride up to Nakusp where we had
a fantastic meal and met this truly unusual guy:

http://medwolf.blogspot.com/

The Kootenays are a truly beautiful area with some great roads and
I definitely plan to go back. Getting across North Dakota and Montana
takes a while- but it's all worth it in the end.