Deadly on-line threat
sean_q
2012-12-22 05:52:30 UTC
http://www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/2014-the-internet-will-be-the-death-of-us-all-209395

It won't be long before some genius comes up with a scheme
to remotely update your motorcycle's firmware. While you ride.

Then it would be only days before some hacker figures out how to bypass
security on the above. The possibilities are scary, such as a 1%er club
killing a rival outlaw biker's ignition at a critical moment, thereby
putting the rider at extreme hazard.

Assassination by remote control. A virtually untraceable crime.

ps. (Even without the Internet something like this happened to me once,
when the tilt sensor on my Harley failed just as I was about to make
a left turn across oncoming traffic. If the fault had occurred just
500 milliseconds later I might not have been here to post this article).

SQ
Me
2012-12-22 06:36:40 UTC
Post by sean_q
Then it would be only days before some hacker figures out how to bypass
security on the above. The possibilities are scary, such as a 1%er club
killing a rival outlaw biker's ignition at a critical moment, thereby
putting the rider at extreme hazard.
Assassination by remote control. A virtually untraceable crime.
Already been done. By me. Asshole deserved it.

Oh yeah, this ain't my account, either.
Grimly Curmudgeon
2012-12-23 15:19:11 UTC
Post by Me
Post by sean_q
Assassination by remote control. A virtually untraceable crime.
Already been done. By me. Asshole deserved it.
Oh yeah, this ain't my account, either.
Oh yeah, you work at Fort Xxxx, don't you? Playing with your remote
toys?

Hhahaha, as if. Get one.
YTC#1
2012-12-22 17:18:26 UTC
On 22/12/12 02:52, sean_q wrote:
<snip>
Post by sean_q
ps. (Even without the Internet something like this happened to me once,
when the tilt sensor on my Harley failed just as I was about to make
a left turn across oncoming traffic. If the fault had occurred just
500 milliseconds later I might not have been here to post this article).
Tilt sensor ? Harley ?

Is that just in case you try and take it around a corner ?
The Older Gentleman
2012-12-22 17:39:01 UTC
Post by YTC#1
<snip>
Post by sean_q
ps. (Even without the Internet something like this happened to me once,
when the tilt sensor on my Harley failed just as I was about to make
a left turn across oncoming traffic. If the fault had occurred just
500 milliseconds later I might not have been here to post this article).
Tilt sensor ? Harley ?
Is that just in case you try and take it around a corner ?
It seems like an apt name for a component fitted to a mobile pinball
table ;-)
--
Honda CB400 Four x3 Triumph Street Triple Ducati 800SS
BMW K100RS Yamaha 660 Tenere Suzuki GN250, TS250ER x3
chateau dot murray at idnet dot com
Eiron
2012-12-22 18:02:59 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by YTC#1
<snip>
Post by sean_q
ps. (Even without the Internet something like this happened to me once,
when the tilt sensor on my Harley failed just as I was about to make
a left turn across oncoming traffic. If the fault had occurred just
500 milliseconds later I might not have been here to post this article).
Tilt sensor ? Harley ?
Is that just in case you try and take it around a corner ?
It seems like an apt name for a component fitted to a mobile pinball
table ;-)
And how many modern bikes don't have one?
Eiron.
The Older Gentleman
YTC#1
Harley ? Modern ?
sean_q
2012-12-22 18:45:12 UTC
Post by YTC#1
Tilt sensor ? Harley ?
Is that just in case you try and take it around a corner ?
Not exactly. On curves, Harley Davidson motorcycles are designed
to lean slightly in the direction of the road's center of curvature.
This is due to a temporary (while turning) horizontal acceleration
combined by a vector addition to the vertical force of gravity
to produce a "local vertical" at an angle to the stationary vertical.

You can verify this with a plumb bob while riding in a curve
(but keep one hand on the handlebar for safety).

H/D attempted to patent this effect, but the court ruled that such
a fundamental principle of Newtonian Physics was already in the public
domain due to bicycles having previously used it as well.

But the MoCo didn't give up so easily. It wasn't long before it was
publicly announced that "Buell owns the corners". Since H/D had
already acquired Buell, this was in effect a claim on the land titles
to all corners. The next step would have been to require that all
Highway Authorities in the Free World should re-engineer every curved
stretch of road to H/D's specifications.

To the best of my knowledge, this legal action is on hold pending
the outcome of a dispute over ownership of the corners between
Erik Buell Racing LLC and H/D which discontinued the Buell product line
in 2009.

HTH. SQ
The Older Gentleman
Grimly Curmudgeon
2012-12-23 15:21:23 UTC
Post by sean_q
Not exactly. On curves, Harley Davidson motorcycles are designed
to lean slightly in the direction of the road's center of curvature.
This is due to a temporary (while turning) horizontal acceleration
combined by a vector addition to the vertical force of gravity
to produce a "local vertical" at an angle to the stationary vertical.
Sure it's not just to do with the horribly out of centre of mass
gearbox unit?
Anyway, camber shims, as long since patented by Rudge, would have
cured that.